Loading the player...
Hard times for Chinese manufacturers
A final factories reading for April's HSBC/Markit Purchasing Managers' Index falling to 48.9 - the slowest in a year.
The powerhouse fueling China's economy slowing to a crawl.
The private survey comes off the back of official data released Friday showing a stall at 50.1, the same reading as March.
Weak domestic demand dragging on the once-mighty manufacturing sector - highlighting the slowdown in the country's overall economy after disappointing first quarter growth figures.
Paul Schulte of Schulte Research:
(SOUNDBITE) (English) CHAIRMAN & CEO, SCHULTE RESEARCH, PAUL SCHULTE, SAYING:
"Well I think China's manufacturing sector is undergoing a profound change right now. And it's almost a requisite for China, like every other economy and government in the world, to change how it's counting GDP. China is turning into a service economy, into a knowledge economy. How many tons of steel does Alibaba use? None. How much steel and cement does Tencent use? Answer, virtually none."
With the expanding service sector, many economists are optimistic but still calling for greater support from policymakers.
The central bank has already cut interest rates and banks' reserve requirement ratios twice in the past six months.
And recently the leadership vowed to reduce import duties and taxes on consumer goods to spur spending.
But these measures, say analysts, may still not be enough to keep the world's second largest economy on target.
- 2:14 Fintech changes the way institutions provide financial services
- 3:06 Al Baraka Islamic Bank Launches All-New Customer Care WhatsApp Service
- 1:26 Emirates NBD partners with SAS to enhance customer services through AI
- 4:31 ICD seeks to increase Central Asian participation in Islamic finance through developing local SMEs, says company chair
- 2:11 Russia's Sberbank to Acquire Stake in Islamic Charity Platform PayZakat
- 1:32 Creditor objection period on SABB-Alawwal merger to end on Saturday
- 2:00 Sharjah Islamic Bank $500 million sukuk oversubscribed 3.5 times
- 1:27 Chinese house prices on the up and up
- 1:39 The Chinese investors riding the storm
- 1:28 Chinese GDP stable at 7 percent growth
- 1:29 Chinese currency striving for IMF basket says U.S.
- 1:34 Chinese economy shifts into lower gear
- 4:03 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT A
- 3:09 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT B
- 3:07 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT C
- 3:29 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT D
- 19:37 Economic System Of Islam Part 01
- 26:27 The foundation of Islamic Economics Part 02
- 37:10 Finance and Financing Part 04
- 13:49 Basic Principles of Islamic Economics Part 03
- 2:44 UNIT 1 ECONOMIC SYSTEM OF ISLAM PART I
- 4:21 UNIT 1 ECONOMIC SYSTEM OF ISLAM PART H