Loading the player...
As sovereign issues grow, pricing and design stymie corporate sukuk
Legal and product design issues as well as pricing - it can be considerably more expensive for companies to issue sukuk than conventional bonds - are deterring corporate activity.
Last year saw debut sukuk issues by the governments of Britain, Hong Kong, Luxembourg, Senegal and South Africa. Hong Kong tapped the market for a second time this week with a $1 billion deal.
Demand among international investors has been strong. Large pools of Islamic funds in the Gulf and southeast Asia are hungry for sharia-compliant instruments.
But expectations that the sovereigns would pave the way for companies to issue sukuk, by demonstrating the viability of Islamic bonds and by building a benchmark yield curve, have so far been dashed. Since the five debut sovereign sales, no company has issued sukuk in those five economies.
Richard O'Callaghan, Islamic Finance partner at law firm Linklaters, which advised Britain and Luxembourg on their maiden sukuk deals said:
"In 2015 we will continue to see sukuk issuance, but in the context of the global capital markets I expect that it will remain a niche product for some time," said
As a result, sovereign and quasi-sovereign issuers accounted for 85 percent of the $113.9 billion of sukuk deals done globally in 2014, and that proportion shows no sign of changing.
Outside Malaysia, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, corporate sukuk remain rare.
- 2:03 PPAF awarded for services towards financial inclusion
- 3:28 Alliance Islamic Bank launches social crowdfunding platform
- 3:34 Only 1.6 pct of green bonds issued in Q1 2019 were Shariah-compliant sukuk – Moody’s
- 3:06 Fintech to help Qatar become Islamic finance hub QFC
- 1:56 UAE bank awards Dh1 million to Indian expat after maintaining account for six years
- 2:46 5th International Islamic Finance Executive Program Concludes in Jeddah
- 3:18 GCC corporate bond and sukuk issuance up 86% last year - Moody's
- 2:39 African sovereign trio add to growing appeal for sukuk
- 2:20 Indonesia sovereign success bodes well for sukuk pipeline
- 1:23 Jordan auctions 75 mln dinars in maiden sovereign sukuk deal.
- 1:40 Ivory Coast returns to sovereign sukuk market, after Togo debut
- 1:47 Kuwait financial regulator opens door for more sukuk issues
- 4:03 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT A
- 3:09 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT B
- 3:07 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT C
- 3:29 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT D
- 19:37 Economic System Of Islam Part 01
- 26:27 The foundation of Islamic Economics Part 02
- 37:10 Finance and Financing Part 04
- 13:49 Basic Principles of Islamic Economics Part 03
- 2:44 UNIT 1 ECONOMIC SYSTEM OF ISLAM PART I
- 4:21 UNIT 1 ECONOMIC SYSTEM OF ISLAM PART H