Loading the player...
Islamic Development Bank increases sukuk programme to $25 bln
An expanded program would support the AAA-rated bank's aim to issue one sukuk publicly every year with a minimum size of $1 billion, while keeping pace with growing investor requests for private placements.
IDB sukuk are highly sought after by banks since the lender is designated a zero risk-weighted institution by the Basel Committee, the international banking supervisory body. This means its paper can be used to manage capital adequacy on bank balance sheets.
The program has now been expanded three times since it was set up in 2005 - the IDB raised $4.4 billion in 2014 and last tapped the market in March with a $1 billion deal.
Most IDB sukuk have been issued with maturities of 5 to 7 years, but the lender wants to build a wider yield curve. This would help price longer-dated infrastructure transactions which the IDB wants to promote.
The IDB also approved development projects worth a combined $450 million, including a $200 million energy project in Mozambique and $70 million to finance the import of agricultural equipment in Kazakhstan, it said in a statement.
In 2013, the IDB more than tripled its authorised capital to $150 billion. It provides financing, loans and technical assistance for development schemes which follow Islamic principles, such as bans on interest payments and pure monetary speculation.
IDB which operates to promote economic development in Muslim communities, has 56 member countries including Saudi Arabia, Libya and Iran as its largest shareholders.
- 2:36 Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank said to mull merger option
- 4:54 Morocco finally sets the stage for takaful industry
- 3:34 Bank of the Philippines urged to lobby for Islamic banking bill
- 8:02 Slow sustainability integration a threat to Islamic Finance
- 3:56 Al Salam Bank to introduce Islamic banking practices in Seychelles
- 6:45 Malaysia a global leader in Islamic banking
- 1:13 Islamic Development Bank President Calls On Other Banks To Increase Development Finance, Mobilize Private Sector To Achieve SDGs
- 1:17 Islamic Development Bank lists $1.25 billion Sukuk on Nasdaq Dubai
- 0:57 Islamic Development Bank prices $1.25 bln sukuk with 2.26 percent profit rate
- 1:26 Islamic Development Bank appoints nine banks for five-year sukuk -bankers.
- 1:27 International Islamic Liquidity Management Corporation Increases Sukuk Issuance to $3bln
- 0:46 Islamic Development Bank
- 4:03 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT A
- 3:09 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT B
- 3:07 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT C
- 3:29 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT D
- 19:37 Economic System Of Islam Part 01
- 26:27 The foundation of Islamic Economics Part 02
- 37:10 Finance and Financing Part 04
- 13:49 Basic Principles of Islamic Economics Part 03
- 2:44 UNIT 1 ECONOMIC SYSTEM OF ISLAM PART I
- 4:21 UNIT 1 ECONOMIC SYSTEM OF ISLAM PART H