Loading the player...
Stocks end week with a thud
The S&P 500 and Nasdaq posted their largest weekly drops since March on Friday. Bobbi Rebell reports.
The S&P 500 and Nasdaq posted their largest weekly drops since March on Friday as slowing global growth dragged commodity-related stocks lower. The biotech sector hit hard by a drop in Biogen. For the week, all the major indexes took bit hits.
Fiat Chrysler says, it is recalling 1.4 million U.S. vehicles for a software fix to prevent them from being hacked remotely.
Investors got no help from data showing a slight setback in housing. New home sales surprisingly fell in June to their lowest level in seven months. IHS Global Insight's Patrick Newport
PATRICK NEWPORT, ECONOMIST, IHS GLOBAL INSIGHT SAYING:
"The market wasn't as strong as we thought it was. The strong pickup, that strong acceleration that we thought was happening isn't taking place."
The data hurt PulteGroup, Toll Brothers and other housing stocks.
On the earnings front: Biogen slashed its 2015 forecasts because of disappointing sales of its flagship multiple sclerosis drug. Its stock was the day's biggest loser on the S&P 500.
The S&P's biggest winner: Amazon. Analysts raced to hike their price target one day after the online retailer wowed Wall Street by producing quarterly profit.
Going against the grain among blue chips: Visa, the Dow's top gainer. Nine brokerages raised their targets a day after the card issuer disclosed it's in talks to reunite with Visa Europe.
TrueCar's stock got slammed. The car shopping service cut its full-year revenue forecast. Goldman downgraded the shares to "neutral" from "buy."
Across the pond, the plunge in metals and oil prices sank commodity shares. European stocks fell to a one-week low.
- 2:14 Fintech changes the way institutions provide financial services
- 3:06 Al Baraka Islamic Bank Launches All-New Customer Care WhatsApp Service
- 1:26 Emirates NBD partners with SAS to enhance customer services through AI
- 4:31 ICD seeks to increase Central Asian participation in Islamic finance through developing local SMEs, says company chair
- 2:11 Russia's Sberbank to Acquire Stake in Islamic Charity Platform PayZakat
- 1:32 Creditor objection period on SABB-Alawwal merger to end on Saturday
- 4:03 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT A
- 3:09 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT B
- 3:07 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT C
- 3:29 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT D
- 19:37 Economic System Of Islam Part 01
- 26:27 The foundation of Islamic Economics Part 02
- 37:10 Finance and Financing Part 04
- 13:49 Basic Principles of Islamic Economics Part 03
- 2:44 UNIT 1 ECONOMIC SYSTEM OF ISLAM PART I
- 4:21 UNIT 1 ECONOMIC SYSTEM OF ISLAM PART H