Loading the player...
Euro zone's first Islamic bank opens in Germany's financial capital Frankfurt
Germany's financial capital Frankfurt saw its first Islamic bank open on Tuesday (July 21), making Turkey-based bank Kuveyt the first such institution in the euro zone.
"We hope that we will be able to cater to the requirements of about four to five million Muslims residing here in Germany," said Hamad Abdulmohsen al-Marzouq, the chairman of the supervisory board of Kuwait Finance House Group, the chief partner of Turkish bank Kuveyt.
According to al-Marzouq, the bank is "open not only to Muslims but to customers of all religions because we believe that the form of banking we are introducing is also attractive to all kinds of customers."
Asked to describe Kuveyt bank's activities which make it different from non-Islamic banks, al-Marzouq said "it is basically not based on fixed interest. It is based on profit-sharing."
"That makes the bank really less vulnerable to shocks. It's a profit-sharing principle rather than fixed interest principle."
The chairman of Kuveyt bank's management board, Kemal Ozan, said another difference to Frankfurt's many other banks was that "we do not invest in sectors such as pornography, the alcohol or tobacco industry. We don't want to give any loans for such investments. Such investments won't be financed by us."
While Kuveyt Turk is aiming to attract customers from the roughly 4 million people in Europe's second-largest Muslim community, many of them of Turkish origin, it also sees potential demand among non-Muslims who distrust conventional banking after the global financial crisis.
- 2:03 PPAF awarded for services towards financial inclusion
- 3:28 Alliance Islamic Bank launches social crowdfunding platform
- 3:34 Only 1.6 pct of green bonds issued in Q1 2019 were Shariah-compliant sukuk – Moody’s
- 3:06 Fintech to help Qatar become Islamic finance hub QFC
- 1:56 UAE bank awards Dh1 million to Indian expat after maintaining account for six years
- 2:46 5th International Islamic Finance Executive Program Concludes in Jeddah
- 1:47 Kuwait financial regulator opens door for more sukuk issues
- 1:52 Dubai Islamic Bank opens 3.16 bln dirham rights issue
- 2:40 Sharjah Islamic Bank opens its latest branch in Mussafah Abu Dhabi.
- 2:06 Greeks say Germany is trying to influence their vote
- 1:23 Emirates Islamic Bank to beef up capital with $408 mln rights issue
- 1:31 Faisal Islamic Bank of Egypt plans to increase capital by $73.4 million
- 4:03 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT A
- 3:09 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT B
- 3:07 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT C
- 3:29 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT D
- 19:37 Economic System Of Islam Part 01
- 26:27 The foundation of Islamic Economics Part 02
- 37:10 Finance and Financing Part 04
- 13:49 Basic Principles of Islamic Economics Part 03
- 2:44 UNIT 1 ECONOMIC SYSTEM OF ISLAM PART I
- 4:21 UNIT 1 ECONOMIC SYSTEM OF ISLAM PART H