Loading the player...
Standard Chartered profit tumbles
Standard Chartered halves its dividend and says it will raise capital externally if necessary, as its new Chief Executive Bill Winters outlines early plans to boost shareholder returns and rebuild capital after a 44 percent slump in profits. Sonia Legg looks at the challenges facing the Asia-focussed bank.
Years of record profits came to an abrupt end three years ago at Standard Chartered.
And there's been little respite ever since at the Asia-focussed UK bank.
Its first-half profit has slumped 44 percent to $1.8 ($1.82) billion.
As a result it's halving its dividend to 14.4 cents a share to help boost core equity capital.
It's a sharp contrast to many European banks which are starting to reap the benefits of putting their houses in order sooner.
Bill Blain is from Mint Partners
SOUNDBITE: Bill Blain, Market Strategist, Mint Partners, saying (English):
"It's a good example of one of the second-tier players in the market - people looking at that and saying it has to de-lever, it has to raise new capital."
New Chief Executive Bill Winters is on the case.
And his thoughts on reviving the bank sent shares up more than 4 percent.
He aims to double return on equity to a minimum of 10 percent.
But there's no quick fix.
The bank's been hit by fines from U.S. regulators for misconduct, strained relations with top share-holders and a weakened trading division.
Not to mention the plunging price of commodities.
SOUNDBITE: Bill Blaine, Market Strategist, Mint Partners, saying (English):
"It's an area that is seen to be difficult for many of them and they are very, very concerned about how that sector develops going forward."
Winters wouldn't rule out raising capital from investors either - in fact he said he'd do so if needed.
And some analysts believe he could need as much as $5 billion.
- 2:14 Fintech changes the way institutions provide financial services
- 3:06 Al Baraka Islamic Bank Launches All-New Customer Care WhatsApp Service
- 1:26 Emirates NBD partners with SAS to enhance customer services through AI
- 4:31 ICD seeks to increase Central Asian participation in Islamic finance through developing local SMEs, says company chair
- 2:11 Russia's Sberbank to Acquire Stake in Islamic Charity Platform PayZakat
- 1:32 Creditor objection period on SABB-Alawwal merger to end on Saturday
- 2:07 Standard Chartered Saadiq gears up to tap new growth markets
- 1:28 Asia markets stumble as oil tumbles
- 4:05 Islamic finance group approves standard for gold products
- 1:43 Are Muslim-majority countries doing enough to achieve a universal halal standard?
- 3:05 Islamic finance nears final standard for gold-based products
- 1:59 Profit surges at Hilton Hyatt
- 4:03 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT A
- 3:09 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT B
- 3:07 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT C
- 3:29 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT D
- 19:37 Economic System Of Islam Part 01
- 26:27 The foundation of Islamic Economics Part 02
- 37:10 Finance and Financing Part 04
- 13:49 Basic Principles of Islamic Economics Part 03
- 2:44 UNIT 1 ECONOMIC SYSTEM OF ISLAM PART I
- 4:21 UNIT 1 ECONOMIC SYSTEM OF ISLAM PART H