Loading the player...
Saudi investments in Egypt focus on infrastructure over 3 years - business council
CAIRO, Dec 17 ( Reuters ) - Saudi Arabia's planned $8 billion of investments in Egypt are likely to arrive over the next three years and focus on infrastructure projects, the deputy head of the Saudi-Egyptian Business Council said on Thursday.
Saudi Arabia's King Salman said on Tuesday that his country's investments in Egypt should exceed 30 billion Saudi riyals ($8 billion) and that the oil-exporting Gulf kingdom would help meet Egypt's petroleum needs for the next five years.
He did not give details and Egyptian officials have said that specific projects were largely still under discussion.
Egypt received pledges of $12 billion from Gulf Arab allies at an investment conference in Sharm al-Sheikh in March, where President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi urged foreign investors to help Egypt recover from turmoil that has undermined the economy since the 2011 uprising that overthrew Hosni Mubarak.
About $6 billion was quickly deposited in Egypt's central bank to help replenish its dwindling foreign currency reserves. The rest was to come as investments, much of which are still being negotiated.
"The investments that the Saudi (king) ordered are all new government investments," Abdallah bin Mahfouz, the deputy head of the Saudi-Egyptian Business Council, told Reuters by telephone.
"I expect that the implementation period would be three years and be directed towards infrastructure as well as some of the logistical, industrial and commercial projects that were announced at Sharm al-Sheikh."
Gulf countries have showered Egypt with billions of dollars in grants, investments and petroleum aid since mid-2013, when then-military chief Sisi removed the Muslim Brotherhood from power following mass protests. Sisi went on to win a presidential poll.
- 7:18 Islamic Economy investment Modest fashion grows to a $283bln industry.
- 1:46 Against a loss in the same quarter in 2018
- 2:36 Spending in Islamic economy grows 5.2% report
- 2:07 Sidra seals $206mln deal for US industrial portfolio
- 1:15 Saudi mall operator Arabian Centres hires banks for debut dollar bonds
- 3:35 International Halal Accreditation Forum welcomes 6 new countries as members
- 1:15 Egypt seeks to drum up Gulf investments
- 2:35 Saudi Arabia to Join Turkey, Indonesia to found Islamic Finance infrastructure bank
- 3:23 Saudi Arabia's Financial District gets a facelift as the economy shifts focus
- 2:29 Noor Bank discusses Impact of VAT at its launch of 'Noor Business Council', a Forum Connecting SME and Corporate Customers with Bankers and Experts
- 2:29 Egypt's EFG-Hermes plans Saudi Islamic fund
- 1:34 Egypt’s FRA approves Sarwa Capital’s sukuk securitisation business
- 15:31 Interview with Husain Lawai.
- 15:10 Interview With Mehmood Arshad Chairman Pak Qatar Business Council,FPCCI.Seg 01
- 19:37 Economic System Of Islam Part 01
- 26:27 The foundation of Islamic Economics Part 02
- 4:15 UNIT 1 ECONOMIC SYSTEM OF ISLAM PART E
- 5:38 UNIT 1 ECONOMIC SYSTEM OF ISLAM PART F
- 5:05 UNIT 1 ECONOMIC SYSTEM OF ISLAM PART G
- 4:21 UNIT 1 ECONOMIC SYSTEM OF ISLAM PART H
- 2:44 UNIT 1 ECONOMIC SYSTEM OF ISLAM PART I
- 4:21 UNIT 2 FINANCE AND FINANCING PART D