Loading the player...
Nigeria eyes maiden sukuk issue this year, may sell Euro bond
Abraham Nwankwo said his Debt Management Office (DMO) had yet to determine the size of a potential sukuk deal and was working with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the central bank and the stock exchange to build capacity.
Nigeria, reeling from the plunge in vital oil revenues, has set up a government committee to advise on the amount to be raised from the Islamic bond sale, the timing and jurisdiction of issue, either domestic or foreign.
"We are definitely going to issue a sukuk this year. We may also likely issue a eurobond this year. We are working hard to put together all the necessary framework," Nwankwo told Reuters on the sidelines of a media briefing.
Nigeria plans to borrow as much as $10 billion from debt markets, with about half of that coming from foreign sources, to help fund a budget deficit worsened by the slump in oil prices that has slashed revenues and weakened the naira.
The government has said it wants to access concessionary sources to fill its funding needs, but any shortfall would be covered through the capital markets.
Issuance of a sovereign sukuk is part of a strategic plan developed by the DMO to develop alternative sources of funding and to establish a benchmark curve for corporates to follow.
Nigeria is home to the largest Islamic population in sub-Saharan Africa, with about half of its 160 million people Muslims. It is also home to one of Africa's fastest growing consumer and corporate banking sectors.
In 2013, Nigeria's Osun State issued 10 billion naira ($62 million) of sukuk, but no other sukuk transactions have followed.
- 3:18 Saudi based Peer-to-Peer Funding Platform Raqamyah signs with Shariyah Review Bureau
- 1:22 Bahrain central bank issues final rules on insurance aggregators
- 3:05 GCC Islamic banks headed for more M&A deals
- 3:01 Bank Nizwa participates in malaysia industry event to leverage latest trends in islamic finance
- 6:05 Qatar’s Islamic finance sector to get central regulation, profitability remains high
- 2:28 CIS is the next frontier for Islamic banking expansion Moody’s
- 1:14 Islamic bank Al Baraka eyes $300 mln Tier 1 sukuk issue in Q1 2017 -CEO
- 3:18 GCC corporate bond and sukuk issuance up 86% last year - Moody's
- 1:23 Jordan auctions 75 mln dinars in maiden sovereign sukuk deal.
- 2:13 Dubai's DP World hires banks for dollar bond issue
- 3:35 Malaysia eyes sukuk ties with Qatar
- 2:13 Bahraini fund Mumtalakat won't sell assets to plug any budget shortfall.
- 4:03 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT A
- 3:09 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT B
- 3:07 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT C
- 3:29 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT D
- 19:37 Economic System Of Islam Part 01
- 26:27 The foundation of Islamic Economics Part 02
- 37:10 Finance and Financing Part 04
- 13:49 Basic Principles of Islamic Economics Part 03
- 2:44 UNIT 1 ECONOMIC SYSTEM OF ISLAM PART I
- 4:21 UNIT 1 ECONOMIC SYSTEM OF ISLAM PART H