Loading the player...
Islamic finance to maintain "original binding principles" to play its role successfully
Speaking on the state of academic studies in the area, Prof. Hassan said lack of reliable data is hindering empirical research, without which the true nature and performance of the Islamic financial sector would not be fully understood.
“In general, there are other potential ways in which Islamic finance can help fulfill sustainable development goals. However, empirical studies to point the way forward are not currently available,” he explained.
He said the contemporary global development agenda offers Islamic finance an opportunity to play a vital role to ease endemic poverty and enhance wealth redistribution. This, he explained, can be achieved through profit-and-risk sharing entrepreneurship, home financing, and Islamic social finance instruments of Zakah, Awqaf, and Sadaqah.
Prof. Hassan urged the IDB and IRTI to build on their efforts of collecting and making available comprehensive and credible Islamic finance data for the use of all industry stakeholders.
Earlier in his opening remarks, IRTI Director General Prof. Mohamed Azmi Omar said the IDB Prize was awarded to Prof. Hassan in recognition of his immense contributions to the development of Islamic Banking and Finance. He said the lecture was organized to stimulate critical discourse that could lead to finding solutions to contemporary issues in Islamic Economics and Finance.
- 4:10 Islamic finance key to funding green energy projects
- 2:13 Alinma CEO shares leadership insights at Cambridge event
- 2:22 Dubai Islamic Bank Q2 profit jumps 14%
- 3:17 Consolidation on cards for UAE, Saudi islamic insurers over stricter capital norms
- 1:57 Emirates Strategic Investments Co readies debut dollar sukuk sale
- 1:34 Egypt’s FRA approves Sarwa Capital’s sukuk securitisation business
- 1:58 Saudi-based IDB and World Bank urge Islamic finance to play the long game
- 1:59 WB explores role of Islamic finance in development
- 3:31 Islamic finance has prominent role in financial inclusion, says SC chairman
- 2:04 KIB successfully closes a $250mln syndicated Murabaha financing facility
- 2:13 UAE may give central bank role in setting monetary policy - governor
- 2:11 MasterCard and International Centre for education in Islamic Finance (INCEIF) to launch Islamic finance scholarship for women.
- 4:03 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT A
- 3:09 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT B
- 3:07 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT C
- 3:29 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT D
- 19:37 Economic System Of Islam Part 01
- 26:27 The foundation of Islamic Economics Part 02
- 37:10 Finance and Financing Part 04
- 13:49 Basic Principles of Islamic Economics Part 03
- 2:44 UNIT 1 ECONOMIC SYSTEM OF ISLAM PART I
- 4:21 UNIT 1 ECONOMIC SYSTEM OF ISLAM PART H