Loading the player...
Algeria plans first sukuk issuance in 2018
Ouyahia also said the government will introduce Islamic financial services at two state banks before the end of this year and four others in 2018.
The steps are part of wider reforms planned by the government after the OPEC member's finances were hit by the more-than-50-percent drop in crude oil prices since mid-2014.
The North African country had rejected sharia-based financing options after a war with Islamist movements that killed about 200,00 people in the 1990s.
But financial difficulties have prompted the government to speed up implementation of long-delayed reforms aimed at weaning the economy off its reliance on oil.
"This will help us cope with the situation," Ouyahia told parliament, referring to the plan to sell sukuk, which he said would be in the finance law for 2018. He gave no details.
Algerian firms rely heavily on state spending, which in turn depends on the hydrocarbons sector, with oil and gas exports accounting for 60 percent of the state budget and 95 percent of total sales abroad.
The government also aims to modernise the stock market, which is now smaller than those in neighbouring Morocco and Tunisia and has a very low level of liquidity.
The measures follow public spending cuts and new taxes on some susidised products including electricity, gasoline and diesel.
But Ouyhia said subsidies for basic products will be maintained for now, pending the launch of talks with political parties and civil society.
"We are still stuying how to rationalise subsidies," he said.
- 1:27 Qatar Islamic Bank second quarter profit rises 19 percent
- 3:19 Islamic Development Bank provides $40 million loan for Kazakh businesses
- 1:58 First Abu Dhabi Bank raises $850mln through sukuk
- 2:42 Emirates Islamic posts record $251m net profit in 2018.
- 3:07 No banking mergers in Malaysia this year- Research firms
- 3:08 SBP wins global award in promoting Islamic finance
- 0:41 Saudi Arabia plans to launch second local currency Sukuk issuance next week
- 4:06 Fitch: Sukuk issuance in key markets up 11 Percent in H 1
- 4:21 Sukuk issuance remains weak despite oil drop
- 1:03 Turkey seeking to raise US$1.5bn from sukuk and yen issuance
- 2:12 Malaysia continues to lead its peers in Sukuk issuance
- 2:26 RAM maintains 2017 global sukuk issuance projection at US$60-70b
- 4:03 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT A
- 3:09 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT B
- 3:07 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT C
- 3:29 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT D
- 19:37 Economic System Of Islam Part 01
- 26:27 The foundation of Islamic Economics Part 02
- 37:10 Finance and Financing Part 04
- 13:49 Basic Principles of Islamic Economics Part 03
- 2:44 UNIT 1 ECONOMIC SYSTEM OF ISLAM PART I
- 4:21 UNIT 1 ECONOMIC SYSTEM OF ISLAM PART H