Loading the player...
Pakistan's Islamic banks show its conventional peers how it's done
Islamic banks are trailblazing the financial sector in a big way, the latest financial results of banks show.
While still quite new in Pakistan, Islamic banking is moving ahead in all segments of their operations, the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP), reported recently.
The network of Islamic banking institutions (IBIs) has expanded. Now it consists of 21 IBIs, five full-fledged Islamic banks and 16 conventional banks having stand-alone Islamic banking branches. IBIs have expanded their branch network to 2,320 branches. The SBP says 55 per cent of these branches are based in five cities - Karachi, Lahore, Rawalpindi, Islamabad, and Faisalabad. The number of Islamic banking windows, operated by conventional banks, is now at 1,255.
Islamic banks have beaten conventional banks by mobilizing deposits at a faster pace, as a growing number of people wish their cash and business to be handled in an Islamic mode. The SBP, in its review of Islamic banking operations for financial year 2016-17 and in the April-June quarter of the same period, says deposits in IBIs rose by Rs1,156 billion, or 10 per cent, to Rs11,720 billion.
Overall banking industry deposits rose 6.5 per cent over the same quarter, but the deposits of IBIs rose more than double to 13.7 per cent at the end of the April-June quarter compared to 13.2 per cent in 2015-16.
"This growth helped Islamic banks improve their asset base," the SBP says.
- 1:28 AAOIFI-World International Conference, edition 12
- 1:35 Saudi Arabia joins Islamic finance body, could boost cross-border deals
- 1:20 Pakistan finalizes two consortiums to raise another $2b
- 1:27 International Islamic Liquidity Management Corporation Increases Sukuk Issuance to $3bln
- 16:06 ASI ABUSINESS WEEK EP 396 SBN
- 16:33 ASI ABUSINESS WEEK EP 396 ISLAMIC FINANCE
- 3:09 Indonesia's Muamalat, Bukopin sign first Islamic-conventional banks' Shariah-compliant repo deal
- 3:17 Government incentives boost Pakistan's Islamic banks
- 3:03 Pakistan cenbank widens Islamic banks' benchmark requirements
- 0:42 Pakistan hires banks for US dollar five and 10-year sukuk deals
- 2:00 Disney on Ice show opens in Qatar
- 2:33 Qatar car show gets enthusiasts' motors running
- 19:32 ASIA BUSINESS WEEK EP 385 SBN
- 2:33 Saudi Arabian developer Jabal Omar to raise 4 billion riyals via sukuk –sources
- 0:52 Dubai Meraas Holding issues $200 mln tap of private sukuk due in 2022 -document
- 19:28 Asia Business Week EP 385 SHINE ISLAMIC FINANCE..mpg
- 17:12 ASIA BUSINESS WEEK
- 1:16 Securities Exchange Commission of Pakistan is easing Sukuk rules as part of a measure to facilitate Islamic finance to develop the Shari'a compliant market.
- 2:26 Morocco's CIH bank is positioning for growth as the North African country prepares to introduce a more flexible exchange rate system and expand its Islamic banking sector
- 1:55 Malaysia Is On Track To Achieve Global Halal Hub status by 2020 backed by a holistic ecosystem
- 1:34 14th Malaysia International Halal Showcase Expects To Generate At Least 400 Mln Malaysian Ringgit From international sourcing program
- 3:31 Brunei welcomes Foreign Direct Investment in Halal food industry