Most international sukuks originate in the GCC
Dubai: International sukuk issuance by entities domiciled outside traditional markets now represents only a small share of sukuk issued worldwide, but there is evidence of growing interest from non-traditional issuers in regions such as North Africa, sub-Saharan Africa, Europe, and countries such as Russia.
While issuance in these countries may support market development, S&P analysts expect progress to be slow.
Most international sukuk originate in the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC). Around 75 per cent of those issued in the past decade were originated by issuers from Middle Eastern countries, mainly issuers from the UAE, followed by Saudi Arabia and Qatar.
Over the past few years, new players have entered the international issuance market, especially from Indonesia and Turkey, eager to attract a new investor class. Over the past three years, Indonesia has issued three sovereign sukuk of $1 billion to $1.5 billion each. Meanwhile, Turkish issuers,including the government,have tapped the international issuance market for a total of about $4 billion.
“We expect this trend to continue as issuers in certain other countries have announced their willingness to tap this market to diversify their investor base and attract funding in a foreign currency. However, this does not imply a shift in the composition of the international sukuk market,” said Mohammad Damak, an analyst with S&P.
- 2:12 Bank nizwa contributes in financing iconic mall of muscat
- 3:23 Conventional bond, sukuk listings hit $77.47bln on Nasdaq Dubai
- 2:44 Sharjah Islamic Bank's net profit rises by 6% in Q1 2019
- 2:40 iMAL to power digital banking for Ameen Al-Iraq Islamic Bank
- 2:22 Emirates Islamic Bank's net profit surges 97% to Dh411 million
- 4:36 Suriname, Guyana seek Islamic funding for development
- 1:10 K-Electric lists Sukuks in KSE
- 0:52 GCC issues $48.13bn sukuks bonds
- 0:59 Islamic Development Bank to raise $2bln in sukuks in 2019
- 1:34 14th Malaysia International Halal Showcase Expects To Generate At Least 400 Mln Malaysian Ringgit From international sourcing program
- 2:27 FNB Islamic Banking wins two international awards
- 1:28 AAOIFI-World International Conference, edition 12
- 4:03 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT A
- 3:09 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT B
- 3:07 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT C
- 3:29 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT D
- 19:37 Economic System Of Islam Part 01
- 26:27 The foundation of Islamic Economics Part 02
- 37:10 Finance and Financing Part 04
- 13:49 Basic Principles of Islamic Economics Part 03
- 2:44 UNIT 1 ECONOMIC SYSTEM OF ISLAM PART I
- 4:21 UNIT 1 ECONOMIC SYSTEM OF ISLAM PART H