Loading the player...
Pakistan floats 1 billion dollar Islamic bonds
Pakistan has sold 1 billion dollar in Islamic bonds to raise its foreign exchange reserves in line with IMF demands. The government had initially planned to float 500 million dollars worth of the bonds — known as “Sukuk” — on the global capital market, but was inundated by offers worth 2.3 billion dollars.
“The government decided to accept offers of $1 billion for a five-year tenure at the profit rate of 6.75 percent,” Pakistan’s ministry of finance statement said Wednesday.
The Sukuk is a Sharia compliance bond that offers profits rather than interest to its subscribers.
Finance minister Ishaq Dar had marketed the instrument through roadshows in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Singapore and London.
According to a statement from his office, 35 percent of subscribers came from Europe, 32 percent from the Middle East, 20 percent from North Africa and 13 percent from Asia.
Pakistan will use the debt to retire its formidable domestic debts of around $150 billion that account for about 50 percent of the country’s GDP.
The bond will also help raise country’s foreign exchange reserves of 13.5 billions of dollars by another 1 billion dollar of the Sukuk proceedings.
“This will contribute significantly in achieving already declared target of taking the national forex reserves to $15 billion by end December,” Dar said.
By the end year, Pakistan is also expected to get $1.1 billion installment of an International Monetary Fund (IMF) facility.
The country was granted the $6.6 billion IMF bailout package last year to help achieve economic reforms.
- 2:36 Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank said to mull merger option
- 4:54 Morocco finally sets the stage for takaful industry
- 3:34 Bank of the Philippines urged to lobby for Islamic banking bill
- 8:02 Slow sustainability integration a threat to Islamic Finance
- 3:56 Al Salam Bank to introduce Islamic banking practices in Seychelles
- 6:45 Malaysia a global leader in Islamic banking
- 2:03 Dubai Islamic Bank Pakistan posts after tax profit of PKR 2.5 billion
- 0:42 Pakistan hires banks for US dollar five and 10-year sukuk deals
- 0:55 Qatar National Bank mandates banks to arrange 3 billion dollar loan
- 3:37 U.K. Backing for Islamic Bonds Just Starting With Emirates Deal
- 1:30 Malaysia extends grant scheme for green Islamic bonds
- 1:22 Dubai Islamic Bank hires banks in preparation for Islamic bonds issue
- 4:03 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT A
- 3:09 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT B
- 3:07 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT C
- 3:29 UNIT 3 RIBA, INTEREST AND PROFIT D
- 19:37 Economic System Of Islam Part 01
- 26:27 The foundation of Islamic Economics Part 02
- 37:10 Finance and Financing Part 04
- 13:49 Basic Principles of Islamic Economics Part 03
- 2:44 UNIT 1 ECONOMIC SYSTEM OF ISLAM PART I
- 4:21 UNIT 1 ECONOMIC SYSTEM OF ISLAM PART H